Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Blog VS Japan!!!

So! As many of you may already know, I am currently in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher in the JET (Japan Exchange Teaching) Program! (For those of you who didn't know, I realize the news is a little abrupt...! Sorry!) I've been here for almost a month now, just enough time to go through two rounds of orientations, move in to my (AWESOME!) apartment, get settled, and FINALLY establish an Internet connection (hence the delay in making a new post over the last month)!

So, since there's a lot to get caught up on, I will eventually back-track and make some posts about the Tokyo and Prefectural orientations, moving in, crazy shopping, seeing the local castle (yes, you read that right, "local castle,") and whatever other random and hilarious Japanese Adventures I've had in the past month. 

But for now, since this is the first post I will make in Japan, I would like to ring it in with a bizarre anecdote that happened to me the other day. It is just the sort of confusing, humorously nonsensical thing that happens to you on a daily basis once you move to Japan. It goes like this: 

For a very long time (almost two weeks!) I have been expecting something in the mail from home. And, for a very long time, absolutely nothing came. And then one day, I got some mail! But it wasn't from home. In fact, it was very clearly Japanese. And it came in a highly unusual package.




It was soft and floppy, and seemed to lack any sign that such a thing could legally be sent through the mail in this or any country. And yet, there it was. It seemed as though the outer package was nothing more than an unusually shaped plastic bag. It confused me so much I photographed it again.





There! That's much better.




So, having gotten through that stage of the confusion, I proceeded to open it.




Inside the plastic-bag-mail-package was nothing but a towel.
 
 




There was no note. No piece of paper. No explanation of what any of this meant. Simply...a towel. 





And the towel spoke for itself.







Now, I know a little Japanese, and can sound out the phonetic kana syllables, but I don't know enough kanji to read the more complicated Japanese characters. So to me, this towel says, "Blah-blah, tsu ba me, blah-blah (blah)." Not very informative. Luckily, on the other side, there was more.







"Oh, good!" I thought at first glance, "This is all in katakana! I can read this!" You see, katakana is the writing system the Japanese use to approximate the pronunciation of foreign words, and most often these words turn out to be in English. (For instance, if you can sound out the characters, "Intaneto" = Internet, "chyokoreto" = chocolate, "MakuDonarudo" = McDonald's, etc.) So, confidently, I began to read this katakana.


It says, "Kosumopuropan". 


...


Let me read that again.



"Kosumopuropan..."




...Yep. That's definitely what it says. 




"...Cosmopolitan?" No, it can't be. Then it would at least have a "T" sound in it. Maybe it's "Cosmo...puro...pan..."




...Yeah. That, um, that's totally it. 'Cause that makes a lot of sense.




"Kosumopuropan..." 






...I have no idea what this means.








...Oh, well...









...Thanks, Japan!!!








6 comments:

  1. I have a saying for things like this. It goes simply, "Oh Japan!" Perhaps with a wry wag o' the head.

    So awesome to hear about your adventures!

    -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a towel IS about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. So maybe Japan just really loves Douglas Adams.

    ~Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brilliant way of writing and gifted placement of pictures has made this edition of The Blog a delightful ride through the mysteries of BEING in Japan! ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Japan has simply welcomed you to their country and provided you with means for intergalactic travel. Now Stay Calm. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome Cordelia, I can't wait to hear what the rest of your visit is like. I've considered doing this as well, but I had no idea what it would actually be like. How long are you there for? Are you going to be receiving Japanese training while you teach English? Is it tough taking on a teaching role without prior experience, assuming you don't have any?

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Thanks, you guys!!
    And Gerard, the JET Program is AWESOME, I highly recommend it! I'm here for a year (and if you choose to renew your contract, year-by-year, you can stay up to five years, as of the time of writing). And yes, there is some JET Program Japanese language training, but it's mail-away, and a lot of us don't actually speak anything more than "survival" ("where-is-the-bathroom") Japanese! (But the longer you're here, the more you pick up.)
    And when it comes to taking on a teaching job without any prior experience, Japan is totally the place to do it! I never have any idea what's going on, and it seems as if that's exactly how it's supposed to be! The culture in Japan is to roll with the punches, and be super-enthusiastic about whatever the heck is around the corner (and boy, is this place full of surprises)! I know that would drive some people nuts, and granted, the JET Program isn't for everyone, but personally I love it and find it to be one of my first real, true Adventures, so naturally I absolutely love everything about the experience. And it has only begun...! Stay tuned, and thanks so much for reading!!

    ReplyDelete